Posted: Oct 03, 2012 by Sam Szarka
Click to enlarge photo
I took this photo of Marcellina Mountain and the Raggeds Mountains framed by aspens on the Dark Canyon Trail near Kebler Pass, Colorado. The fall colors this year didn’t disappoint, thanks to monsoon moisture that impacted the state in July and August this summer and kept the aspens in healthy condition.
If you missed the fall colors this year, it’s not too late. Many of the aspens still haven’t dropped their leaves. Get out and see them before a storm blows the leaves off and the colorful season ends for this year.
Here is my list of favorite aspen foliage / fall color viewing spots
- Kebler Pass – County Rd 12 (near Crested Butte)
- Ohio Pass Road
- Castle Creek Road (near Aspen)
- Maroon Creek Road (near Aspen)
- Owl Creek Pass Road (near Ridgeway)
- Dallas Divide (near Ridgeway)
- Last Dollar Road (near Telluride)
- Cottonwood Lake (near Buena Vista)
- Independance Pass (Hwy 82 between Aspen and Twin Lakes)
- Twin Lakes (near Twin Lakes, CO)