Wilderness Areas of Central Colorado
On the stretch from Mexico to Canada, the mountainous spine of the Rockies reach their loftiest height in central Colorado peaking at 14,440 ft. above sea level.
- Buffalo Peaks Wilderness – A bulwark on the southern edge of the Mosquito range, the twin Buffalo Peaks can be seen from Hwy 24 when travelling toward Fairplay, or Buena Vista, Colorado
- Collegiate Peaks Wilderness - The Collegiate Peaks, named after american universities form part of the Sawatch Range just east of Buena Vista, Colorado.
- Fossil Ridge Wilderness – Located northeast of Gunnison, Fossil Ridge is a small wilderness in central Colorado.
- Holy Cross Wilderness - Just south of Minturn, Colorado the Holy Cross wilderness contains alpine peaks including the fourteener Mt. of Holy Cross.
- Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness - South of Aspen, the iconic peaks of the Maroon Bells and the scenic Elk mountains are contained within the Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness
- Raggeds Wilderness – West of Crested Butte, the Raggeds, so named due to their sawtooth ridgeline are the centrepiece of this wilderness.
- West Elk Wilderness - One of the larger wilderness parcels, the West Elk Wilderness contains large tracts of alpine forest and volcanic peaks, cliffs, and spires.